Combined Juris Doctor/PhD (Economics) ProgramThis program allows a student to complete all the requirements for the Juris Doctor and all the requirements for the PhD except a dissertation in four years, rather than the five years it would take to reach this stage if the programs were taken separately. In the fifth year and beyond, a dissertation will be completed.
Applicants must gain independent admission to both the JD program and the PhD program in Economics. They should indicate on their applications that they wish to be considered for the Combined Program. Applicants must satisfy the admission requirements for each program.
Year OneFirst year law courses.
Year TwoThe requirements for the second year are the same as the requirements for the first year of an Economics PhD.
- ECO1011H, an intensive preparatory course in mathematics and statistics for PhD students, which meets daily for three weeks beginning in mid-August
- ECO2020H, Microeconomic Theory I
- ECO2030H, Microeconomic Theory II
- ECO2021H, Macroeconomic Theory I
- ECO2031H, Macroeconomic Theory II
- ECO2400H, Econometrics I
- ECO2401H, Econometrics II.
Theory Comprehensive ExamsStudents are required to take comprehensive examinations in microeconomic and macroeconomic theory after the end of the Winter semester. Performance on these exams is evaluated on a distinction/pass/fail basis. If a theory comprehensive examination is failed on the first attempt, it must be re-taken later in the summer (usually in August) of the same year.
Department of Economics Requirements
- The courses for a "major" field
- Field comprehensive examination in major field
- One half-course in Law and Economics
- Graduate Research Seminar (ECO4060Y), including second-year paper
Faculty of Law Requirements
- One-half of normal law school course load (14–16 credit hours).
- Law courses (28–32 credit hours, including the extended paper requirement in law).
Years Five and LaterStudents complete a dissertation. It is expected, but not required, that a student's dissertation committee will include a member of the Faculty of Law.
Tuition, Registration and Financial AssistanceStudents are expected to be registered in the Combined JD/PhD (Economics) program as follows:
|Year One||Faculty of Law||FULL TIME|
|Year Two||Department of Economics||FULL TIME|
|Year Three||Department of Economics||FULL TIME|
|Year Four||Faculty of Law||FULL TIME|
In the first year, students will pay law school tuition and will be eligible for all law school scholarships, bursaries, etc. In the second and third years, students will pay the fees appropriate to the PhD in Economics and will be eligible for the guaranteed funding package. In the fourth year, students will be registered again in the Faculty of Law, pay law school tuition, and be eligible for financial assistance from the Faculty.