Feedback and Inquiries
Head Peer Mentor
Study Center Coordinator
The Economics Study Centre
The Economics Department invites qualified Economics and Commerce students to apply for the 2018 – 2019 peer mentor positions at the Economics Study Center to assist and advise first and second year students in the following courses:
- Introductory Economics (ECO 101/102/105)
- Intermediate Microeconomics (ECO 200/204/206)
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECO 202/208/209)
- Quantitative Methods in Economics (ECO 220/227)
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria by the end of the 2018 summer session:
- Completed one course in each of the three 200-level groups listed below (with A- or higher in two or more of the three courses):
- Microeconomics: ECO 200/204/206
- Macroeconomics: ECO 202/208/209
- Econometrics: ECO 220/227 / STA257+261
- Be a 3rd or 4th year student in the Economics major/specialists programs, or in the Rotman Commerce programs.
- Have a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 3.5 or higher.
Additional criteria that will be considered:
- Evidence of leadership potential and excellent communication skills.
- Previous peer tutoring experience considered an asset
Roles and Responsibilities:
Upon appointment peer mentors are expected to:
- Hold either a one 4-hour session per week or two 2-hour sessions per week from September 2018 through April 2019. These sessions will be scheduled during regular hours (Mondays through Fridays).
- Attend the mandatory Peer Mentor Orientation and Training session.
- Sign-in and sign-out of each session.
- Notify the staff advisor of any student in difficulty.
- Maintain session logs which are to be submitted electronically each week to the staff advisor.
- Administer and respond to evaluations.
- Submit a report with your feedback of the Study Center in December 2018 and April 2019 to the staff advisor.
Economics Study Center peer mentors are paid the undergraduate TA wage rate (currently $44.44 / hour).
Please download the Economics Study Center Peer Mentor Application form,
and email firstname.lastname@example.org from your UToronto email the following
three documents (ideally combined in one single file) by 11:59 P.M., Wednesday, August 15, 2018:
(1) The completed application form (download here)
(2) One page resume/CV
(3) A copy of your transcripts (available from ACORN/ROSI)
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted and interviewed.
** Please note: the Economics Study Centre is currently closed and will resume in September 2018. Have a great summer break! **