Feedback and Inquiries
Lead Learning Assistant
Study Centre Coordinator
Now Hiring - Economics Study Centre Learning Assistant Positions for 2019-20!
The Economics Department invites qualified Economics and Commerce students to apply for the 2019–2020 Learning Assistant positions at the Economics Study Centre to assist and advise first and second year students in the following courses:
- Introductory Economics (ECO 101H/102H/105Y)
- Intermediate Microeconomics (ECO 200Y/204Y/206Y)
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECO 202Y/208Y/209Y)
- Intermediate Econometrics (ECO 220Y/227Y)
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria by the end of the 2019 summer session:
- Completed one course in each of the three 200-level groups listed below (with A- or higher in two or more of the three courses):
- Microeconomics: ECO 200Y/204Y/206Y
- Macroeconomics: ECO 202Y/208Y/209Y
- Econometrics: ECO 220Y/227Y / STA257H+261H
- Be a 3rd or 4th year student in the Economics major/specialists programs, or in the Rotman Commerce programs.
- Have a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 3.5 or higher.
Additional criteria that will be considered:
- Evidence of leadership potential and excellent communication skills.
- Previous peer tutoring experience considered an asset.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Upon appointment learning assistants are expected to:
- Hold either a one 4-hour session per week or two 2-hour sessions per week from September 2019 through April 2020. These sessions will be scheduled during regular hours (Mondays through Fridays).
- Attend the mandatory Learning Assistants Orientation and Training session.
- Sign-in and sign-out of each session.
- Notify the staff advisor of any student in difficulty.
- Maintain session logs which are to be submitted electronically each week to the staff advisor.
- Administer and respond to evaluations.
- Submit a report with your feedback of the Study Centre in December 2019 and April 2020 to the staff advisor.
Economics Study Centre Learning Assistants are paid the undergraduate TA wage rate (currently $45.33/ hour).
Please download the Economics Study Centre Learning Assistant Application form, and email firstname.lastname@example.org from your UToronto email the following three documents (ideally combined in one single file) by 8 A.M. Monday, August 12, 2019:
- The completed application form (download here)
- One page resume/CV
- A copy of your transcripts (available from ACORN/ROSI)
About the Economics Study Centre
Note: The centre is closed for the summer and will reopen in September 2019.
The Economics Study Centre is staffed by third and fourth year undergraduate students who act as peer mentors to Economics and Commerce students. The peer mentors assist students on a one-to-one basis or in study groups. The focus of the program is on core Economics courses including:
- Introductory Economics (ECO 101H1, 102H1, 105Y1)
- Intermediate Microeconomics (ECO 200Y1, 204Y1, 206Y1)
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECO 202Y1, 209Y1, 208Y1)
- Quantitative Methods in Economics (ECO 220Y1, 227Y1)
The Economics Study Centre welcomes all undergraduate Economics and Rotman Commerce students to use the centre as a study lounge. This is a drop-in centre, students do not need to book an appointment.