Feedback and Inquiries
Lead Learning Assistant
Study Center Coordinator
The Economics Study Centre
The Department of Economics invites qualified Economics and Commerce students to apply for the 2020 – 2021 Learning Assistant positions at the Economics Study Center to assist and advise first and second year students in the following courses:
- Introductory Economics (ECO 101H1, 102H1, 105Y1)
- Intermediate Microeconomics (ECO 200Y1, 204Y1, 206Y1)
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECO 202Y1, 209Y1, 208Y1)
- Intermediate Econometrics (ECO 220Y1, 227Y1)
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria by the end of the 2020 summer session:
- Completed one course in each of the three 200-level groups listed below (with A- or higher in two or more of the three courses):
- Microeconomics: ECO 200Y1 / 204Y1 / 206Y1
- Macroeconomics: ECO 200Y1 / 204Y1 / 206Y1
- Econometrics: ECO 220Y1 / 227Y1 / STA 257H1+261H1
- Be a 3rd or 4th year student in the Economics major/specialists programs, or in the Rotman Commerce programs.
- Have a cumulative GPA (CGPA) of 3.5 or higher.
Additional criteria that will be considered:
- Evidence of leadership potential and excellent communication skills.
- Previous peer tutoring experience considered an asset.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Upon appointment learning assistants are expected to:
- Hold either a one 4-hour session per week or two 2-hour sessions per week from September 2020 through April 2021. These sessions will be scheduled during regular hours (Mondays through Fridays). These sessions will be virtual (online) in Fall and possibly Winter as well.
- Attend the mandatory Learning Assistants Orientation and Training session.
- Sign-in and sign-out of each session.
- Notify the staff advisor of any student in difficulty.
- Maintain session logs which are to be submitted electronically each week to the staff advisor.
- Administer and respond to evaluations.
- Submit a report with your feedback of the Study Center in December 2020 and April 2021 to the staff advisor.
Economics Study Center Learning Assistants are paid the undergraduate TA wage rate (currently $46.24/ hour).
Please complete the ECONOMICS STUDY CENTER 2020 - 2021 APPLICATION FOR LEARNING ASSISTANT PROGRAM form and submit it by 8 A.M. Tuesday, August 4, 2020.
The Economics Study Centre is currently closed and will resume in September. If you need help with your course, please ask your professor or teaching assistant directly.