Professor; Canada Research Chair
Ph.D. (Michigan, 1990), M.A. (York, 1984), B.Comm. (Toronto, 1982)
Office: Max Gluskin House, 150 St. George Street, 274. Phone: 416-978-4138. Fax: 416-978-5079.
Research fields: Labour economics, Public economics, Applied econometrics
- Michael Baker, Yosh Halberstam, Kory Kroft, Alexandre Mas, Derek Messacar, "Pay Transparency and the Gender Gap", American Economic Journal: Applied Economics 15 (2) (2023), 157–183.
- Michael Baker, "Gender Differences in (Some) Formative Inputs to Child Development", in Intergenerational Mobility: How Gender, Race and Family Structure Affect Adult Outcomes (edited by Jean Kimmel), Upjohn Institute, Kalamazoo, 2022, 109–146.
- Michael Baker, Maripier Isabelle, Mark Stabile, Sara Allin, "Accounting for the Rising Caesarean Section Rate in Canada: What are the Roles of Changing Needs, Practices and Incentives?", Candian Public Policy 48 (1) (2022), 36–73.
- Michael Baker, Janet Currie, Boriana Miloucheva, Hannes Schwandt, Josselin Thuilliez, "Inequality in Mortality: Updated Estimates for the United States, Canada and France", Fiscal Studies 42 (1) (2021), 25–46.
- Michael Baker, Derek Messacar, Mark Stabile, "The Effects of Child Tax Benefits on Poverty and Labor Supply: Evidence from the Canada Child Benefit and Universal Child Care Benefit", Journal of Labor Economics, forthcoming.
Courses taught 2023–2024
- ECO339H1F, section L0101 (St. George) • Labour Economics: Employment, Wages and Public Policy • R1-4 • UC179
- ECO340H1S, section L0101 (St. George) • Labour Economics: The Distribution of Earnings • R2-5 • OI2212