Professor; Canada Research Chair
Ph.D. (Berkeley, 2005), B.A. (University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras, 2000)
Office: Max Gluskin House, 150 St. George Street, 304. Phone: 416-946-5299. Fax: 416-978-6713.
Personal website: http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~bobonis/
Research fields: Economic development, Labour economics, Political economy, Economic history
- Gustavo Bobonis, Luis R. Cámara Fuertes, Rainer Schwabe, "Monitoring Corruptible Politicians", American Economic Review 106 (8) (2016), 2371–2405.
- Gustavo Bobonis and Peter Morrow, "Labor Coercion and the Accumulation of Human Capital", Journal of Development Economics 108 (2014), 32–53.
- Gustavo Bobonis, Melissa González-Brenes, Roberto Castro, "Public Transfers and Domestic Violence: The Roles of Private Information and Spousal Control", American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 5 (1) (2013), 179–205.
- Gustavo Bobonis, "Is the Allocation of Resources within the Household Efficient? New Evidence from a Randomized Experiment", Journal of Political Economy 117 (3) (2009), 453–503.
- Gustavo Bobonis and Frederico Finan, "Neighborhood Peer Effects in Secondary School Enrollment Decisions", Review of Economics and Statistics 91 (4) (2009), 695–716.
Honors and awards
- U of T Department of Economics Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2015.
- John C. Polanyi Prize in Economic Science, 2009.
- National Academy of Education / Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, 2008.
Courses taught 2017–2018
- ECO2700H1F, section L0101 (St. George) • Economic Development • R4-7 • GE100
- ECO403H1F, section L0101 (St. George) • Topics in Development Economics and Policy • M2-4, F2 • M NF007; F SS2108