Professor; Canada Research Chair
Ph.D. (Berkeley, 2005), B.A. (University of Puerto Rico at Rio Piedras, 2000)
Office: Max Gluskin House, 150 St. George Street, 304. Phone: 416-946-5299. Fax: 416-978-6713.
Personal website: http://www.economics.utoronto.ca/gustavo.bobonis/
Research fields: Economic development, Labour economics, Political economy, Economic history
- Gustavo Bobonis, Paul Gertler, Marco Gonzalez-Navarro, Simeon Nichter, "Vulnerability and Clientelism", American Economic Review 112 (11) (2022), 3637–3659. (Freely available.)
- Gustavo Bobonis, Mark Stabile, Leonardo Tovar, "Military Training Exercises, Pollution, and their Consequences for Health", Journal of Health Economics forthc. (2020), 1–51.
- Gustavo Bobonis, Luis R. Cámara Fuertes, Rainer Schwabe, "Monitoring Corruptible Politicians", American Economic Review 106 (8) (2016), 2371–2405.
- Gustavo Bobonis, Melissa GonzÃ¡lez-Brenes, Roberto Castro, "Public Transfers and Domestic Violence: The Roles of Private Information and Spousal Control", American Economic Journal: Economic Policy 5 (1) (2013), 179–205.
- Gustavo Bobonis, "Is the Allocation of Resources within the Household Efficient? New Evidence from a Randomized Experiment", Journal of Political Economy 117 (3) (2009), 453–503.
Honors and awards
- U of T Department of Economics Faculty Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching, 2015.
- John C. Polanyi Prize in Economic Science, 2009.
- National Academy of Education / Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow, 2008.
Courses taught 2022–2023
- ECO372H1F, section L0101 (St. George) • Data Analysis and Applied Econometrics in Practice • TR10-12, WF10-11 • SS 1085
- ECO372H1F, section L0101 (St. George) • Data Analysis and Applied Econometrics in Practice • W10-1 • BL 205
- ECO372H1F, section L0201 (St. George) • Data Analysis and Applied Econometrics in Practice • W2-5 • SS 1085
- ECO499H1Y, section L0101 (St. George) • Honours Essay in Applied Microeconomics • T10-1 • BL 312