Varouj A. Aivazian
Ph.D. (Ohio State, 1975), M.A. (Ohio State, 1973), B.S. (MIT, 1968)
Office: Max Gluskin House, 150 St. George Street, 272. Phone: 416-978-2375. Fax: 416-978-6713.
Office: University of Toronto, Mississauga, 3260. Phone: 905-828-5302.
Personal website: http://individual.utoronto.ca/vaivazian/Home.htm
Research fields: Financial economics, Law and economics
- Varouj A. Aivazian, Jeffrey Callen, Susan McCracken, "Experimental Tests of Core Theory and the Coase Theorem:Inefficiency and Cycling", Journal of Law and Economics 52 (November) (2009), 745–759.
- Varouj A. Aivazian and E. Santor, "Financial Constraints and Investment: Assessing the Impact of a World Bank Credit Program on Small and Medium Enterprises in Sri Lanka", Canadian Journal of Economics 41 (2) (2008), 475–500.
- Varouj A. Aivazian, Laurence Booth, S. Cleary, "Why some Firms Smooth Dividends and Others Do Not", Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (2006)
- Varouj A. Aivazian, J. Qiu, Ying Ge, "The Impact of Leverage on Firm Investment: Canadian Evidence", Journal of Corporate Finance 11 (1-2) (2005), 277–291.
- Varouj A. Aivazian, Laurence Booth, V. Demirguc-Kunt, V. Maksimovic, "Capital Structures in Developing Countries", Journal of Finance 56 (2001), 87–130.
Honors and awards
- Best paper in Corporate Finance, Financial Management Association Annual Meeting, (with , with M. Rahaman and L. Sun), “Financial Shocks and Firm Performance: Evidence from Systemic Banking Crises”, 2011.
- Best Paper in Corporate Finance,Southern Finance Association Meetings,for paper (with L. Booth, V. Maksimovic and A. Demirguc-Kunt), entitled "Capital Structures in Developing Countries", 1999.
- Best Paper in Corporate Finance,Northern Finance Association Meetings,for paper (with M. Berkowitz), "Production Flexibility and Corporate Capital Structure", 1991.
Courses taught 2017–2018
- ECO2504H1S, section L0101 (St. George) • Financial Economics II • T7-9 • UC330
- ECO440H5S, section L0101 (UTM) • Advanced Topics in Financial Economics
- ECO373Y5Y, section L0101 (UTM) • The Environment: Perspectives from Economics and Ecology (Varouj A. Aivazian and Robert Barber)