Ph.D. (UCLA, 1989)
Office: Rotman School of Management, 8064. Phone: 416-946-7945. Fax: 416-978-5433.
Personal website: http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/~dtrefler/
Research fields: International economics, Economic development, Technology and productivity
- Diego Puga and Daniel Trefler, "International Trade and Institutional Change: Medieval Venice's Response to Globalization", Quarterly Journal of Economics 129 (2) (2014), 753–821.
- Nathan Nunn and Daniel Trefler, "Domestic Institutions as a Source of Comparative Advantage", in Handbook of International Trade (edited by Elhanan Helpman, Gita Gopinath and Kenneth Rogoff), Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2013, 263–315.
- Marc Melitz and Daniel Trefler, "Gains From Trade When Firms Matter", Journal of Economic Perspectives 26 (2) (2012), 91–118.
- Alla Lileeva and Daniel Trefler, "Improved Access to Foreign Markets Raises Plant-Level Productivity … for Some Plants", Quarterly Journal of Economics 125 (3) (2010), 1051–1099.
Honors and awards
- Bank of Canada Fellowship Award, 2016.
- Killam Prize in the Social Sciences, 2016.
- Ohlin Lectures, Stockholm School of Economics, 2011.
- J. Douglas and Ruth Grant Canada Research Chair in Competitiveness and Prosperity., 2003.
- Member, Ontario Task Force on Competitiveness, Productivity and Economic progress , 2003.
- Canadian Pacific Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research, 1999.
Courses taught 2017–2018
- ECO2304H1S, section L0101 (St. George) • International Trade II • T11-1, F2-4 • GE100, GE100