Professor John Munro passed away on December 23, 2013. This site is maintained and kept online as an archive. For more infomation please visit the Centre for Medieval Studies
Professor (Emeritus) John H. Munro passed away December 23, 2013
Department of Economics,
University of Toronto
150 St. George Street
My Home Page: freely accessible to everybody.
the ECO 301Y course web page.
Updated on: 22 August 2013
TAKING NOTES FOR ESSAYS IN EUROPEAN ECONOMIC HISTORY
Taking notes properly is the key to proper research techniques and thus to the production of a good essay.
- The Golden Rule is: never put more than one idea, sub-topic, or set of facts on one issue on one card or page that you use for your essay notes.
- A model note: in doing research for an essay in economic history is contained in this pdf file (linked by the blue URL).
- Use note pads or cards measuring about 5 inches by 7.5 inches
= one half sheet of standard paper.
- On each note, always specify: the date or time period (e.g., the century), the title of the note or sub-topic (short explanatory title), and the source from which you took the note, including always
the page number (or document number).
- Avoid copying text directly, in order to avoid inadvertent plagiarism: try to take your notes by writing a short précis of the text that your are reading; and avoid using full sentences.
- Exceptions: your are permitted to copy texts in full, in order to cite them as direct quotations in order to substantiate a point or thesis in your essay: preferably from original sources, citing
the text as evidence for your case. You may cite a passage from a secondary source, in order to attack, clarify, or defend a thesis of some other historian. But NEVER use direct quotations as part of your
exposition: avoid an ugly and discordant 'scissors and paste' presentation.
- Thus another Golden Rule: use direct quotations only sparingly; avoid any excessive resort to direct quotations.
- Read with care my document on
Instructions on Writing Term Essays.
To John Munro's Home Page