...top of page

International Students

You are considered an international applicant if you are not a Canadian citizen or Canadian Permanent Resident at the time you apply to the MFE Program. Heightened security and a lengthy visa process make it imperative that applicants from outside Canada submit application materials as early as possible.


Please consult the admissions page for minimum eligibility (degree, grade and course) requirements. The eligibility requirements for international students are the same as for domestic students except for the required proficiency tests:

1. the GRE or GMAT test (graduates of non-Canadian universities MUST submit an official GRE® General Test score or GMAT test with no exceptions); and

2. an accepted English Language Test (applicants whose first language is not English, or who graduated from a non-Canadian university for which the language of instruction and examination is not in English, are required to submit official English language test scores and meet the minimum requirements. Note: The MFE program prefers the TOEFL test. Please see the full list of English language tests accepted by the School of Graduate Studies.)

The School of Graduates students also maintains a database of International Degree Equivalencies. Applicants may refer to this list to ensure that their undergraduate academic institution is on the list and to determine the B+ minimum equivalency score.

Tuition, Costs of Living, and Other Considerations

As an international applicant, you should be aware that you are not eligible for financial aid and should be prepared to provide your own financial support and healthcare coverage. Please visit the Centre for International Experience web page for information on obtaining student visas and health insurance (UHIP), and Tuition/Fees for costs of studying in the MFE program.

Tuition fees for international students can be found here.

The Centre for International Experience has provided an approximate breakdown of living/studying costs and other considerations (study permits, housing, orientation, health insurance, etc.) for international students to ease their transition to the University of Toronto.

Also visit the School of Graduate Studies website for information specific to graduate students at the University of Toronto.

[* Refers to proficiency tests approved by the School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto.]

Resources for International Students

The Centre for International Experience – whether you are new to Canada or looking to go abroad, the CIE provides a range of services to assist you on your journey. The CIE offers a number of vital services for international students, including mandatory health insurance (UHIP), welcoming orientation, and a range of activities throughout the year. Domestic students are encouraged to visit CIE to learn more about international opportunities such as student exchange and other resources to make your time abroad a success. For more information, visit www.cie.utoronto.ca

English Language Program – provides non-native speakers of English with the training and acculturation necessary to succeed at UofT. The English Language Program's part-time academic English courses can help you develop your language ability in a variety of skill areas including, writing, speaking and vocabulary. All currently registered graduate students and post-docs receive a 25% discount on their courses. For more information, visit the School of Continuing Studies website.